Planning Applications

The Planning Authority is a separate body from Building control and generally takes to deal with the visual appearance of the external proposals. Generally a planning application has to be made for extensions and in some cases garage and loft conversions

With all extensions, conservatories etc, planning permission has to be given before a building warrant or construction work can be undertaken.

Neighbour Notifications

Planning permission also involves Neighbour Notifications. Untill recently this was to be undertaken by the client, however, due to the revised planning methology it is now the sole responsibility from August 3rd for the Planning Authority to make these notifications.

Your Neighbours will still have 14 days to make a formal complaint from the time of submission of the application and can go to the local authority offices to view your proposals. Should your property boundary onto any green/ agricultural land then you may have to pay for a neighbour notification advertisement fee to the local paper which could be as much as £125

From April 2009 there has been substantial changes to the planning system throughtout Scotland. Now full planning applications can be submitted online to enable a quicker response to your application. With some local authorities the application fee can
be paid over the phone using a debit card.